Monday, August 18, 2008

In Nairobi again...

We can hardly believe over a month has passed since our last blog. We are back in Nairobi for a quick trip. It turns out, our work permit hasn’t been approved by the Kenyan government so we had to make a quick trip to Nairobi to renew our visas before they expired. We have heard horror stories about people getting their visas renewed, but thankfully, we were in and out of the immigration office in under 30 minutes. Praise God! I had already planned to come to Nairobi to pick up my parents, but John ended up tagging along, too! They arrive in 6 hours and we are so excited!

Krista Fitzwater MD. Has a nice ring, eh? Since being here, I have watched John perform several endoscopies and a colonoscopy. I have also watched 2 c-sections and a revision of the left hemicolectomy. I have no idea what the last thing was, but it was pretty neat. I have also decided that I never want to have a c-section because they are not gentle and they just plop your uterus up onto your tummy. Anyway, since I now have some baby sitters (aka grandparents), I hope to watch a few more procedures to continue my MD training! HA! I do enjoy watching the procedures and learning about them, but I would NEVER want to be the one cutting!

In the last month, 2 couples we were close to have left. It has definitely left a big void in our lives. We are so thankful that God provided this trip for my parents now as we have spent the last 2 weeks mourning our loss! Their departure has given me more time to be crafty though. I recently drove to a nearby town where I saw a lady selling pots. I bought 2 of them and some handmade brooms and began arranging them in the pots. The nationals thought this was hilarious because the pots were for cooking porridge and beans and of course the brooms are for sweeping and I turned them into home décor! One of the pots broke so I made a mosaic out of it. All this craftiness has helped to pass the time.

AnneMarie is growing and talking so much. She has been grouping words for awhile is learning to count and can sing some of her ABC’s and Jesus Loves Me. Unfortunately, we think she has come down with croup. Just in time for my parents arrival! She is still small, but finally fits into her 12-18 month clothes.


Ministry Updates:
The shelves are up in the store and we hope to open it within the next two weeks. I hope to visit a nearby sewing centre to recruit the most needy ladies to sew for the store.
I held a cookie decorating contest where 17 of the Missionary kids came to participate. We also decorated over 100 cookies and took them to the pediatric ward to share with the kids. The children were so excited to receive cookies even though some of them thought they were too sweet! I have also been asked to consider holding art classes for the MKs.
Thanks to our generous supporters, we were able to provide vegetables to a local orphanage who had not had any in 2 months.

P.S. I wrote this entry in Nairobi, but we have been back at Tenwek for several days.