Well, I have been told by many people that we are really bad bloggers. I admit that is true! Even being in Kenya, life is just life and though it is different from anything at home, it is still just our typical life. So, I have been asked to tell what my day and John’s day is like. Plus, I’ll catch you up on what we have been up to!
Krista’s Day: Our househelper arrives at about 9 each day. She is primarily responsible for laundry (hanging it on the line to dry), cooking & cleaning. So, what do I do all day?!? Since several missionaries are on furlough right now, I have taken over parts of their ministries in their absence. We have assisted with four orphanages that are supported through Tenwek missionaries and their supporters. I am in charge of their school fees and toiletry needs. We also visit these orphanages and have assisted with their food needs.
Another ministry I have been involved in is a ladies Bible Study that disciples Kipsigis women. Not only do I attend their weekly meetings, but I also attend the council meetings and some seminars for the group. I am in charge of the finances as well, which has most recently been buying and distributing 136 kilos (300 lbs) of maize seed!
On a daily basis, I typically get 3-7 people coming to my door. Usually one is selling some sort of produce and the rest are seeking assistance. They are typically orphans or needy people needing anything from clothes, food, and money. It is exhausting at times to hear the needs of so many and only be able to help a little. It is also hard not to become cynical when some just see you as a meal ticket. Others are people who come wanting to put something in Duka la Baraka (the store at the Tenwek Guest House) or to see if anything has sold.
Of course, let’s not forget our two-year-old who is constantly running out the door and wanting to play! And is quite demanding of my attention!
John is currently doing research MWF and doing endoscopy on T/TH. He takes call one weekend per month and usually about 5 other days per month. We are going to have a hard time adjusting back to residency life! He will have to fill you in on more of his life!
Recently my parents, my older brother and his daughter, my younger brother and his wife and my great aunt and her daughter came to visit us! We had a wonderful time. It was their first time (except my parents who were on their 3rd) time to Africa! It is so fun to see Africa through “new eyes”! We are so accustomed to the nonexistent roads with donkeys and cows crossing and masses of people walking everywhere, that we have forgotten how unusual that is! We took them on safari, to an orphanage, to watch surgeries and to a market. We kept them very busy and we were all tired when they left! How fun it was! We are excited to see John’s parents reactions as the come next week!
We also stay busy hosting new families and visitors for lunch and dinner. I held three art classes this month for the missionary kids. Next month, we have a work team coming for 3 weeks to do a lot of painting at the orphanages and doing outreach in nearby communities. We are excited for them to be here.
It is the morning of Christmas Eve as I type and we plan to spend most of the day distributing new clothes to Bosto orphanage, which is the furthest from Tenwek. After that, we will attend a Christmas Eve service and go caroling at the hospital. Christmas Day we will attend a service in the morning and then have lunch with a missionary family. We are excited to join them so we won’t be alone! Dec. 26th is a Kenyan Holiday called “Boxing Day”.
We celebrated AnneMarie’s second birthday on Tuesday. It was funny to think that this will be her only “summer” birthday! Last year she wore a sweater dress and this year she was in a tank! She finally grasps what a birthday is and sang herself to sleep both last night and at nap time singing “Happy Birthday” to herself!
So this is a brief glance of what is going on with us! Now, you have to let us know what is going on with YOU!!