After two LONG flights, we have finally arrived. Anne Marie did great on that flight. She slept for about 3 hours. 2 in her seat and one on me. Unfortunately, the movies didn't work that flight which was a shame because I was awake, but John slept. After we transferred in London, we had about an hour layover. This next flight wasn't full and the movie system was great. I ended up watching the second National Treasure over about a 4 hour period. Thankfully, you could pause it! AnneMarie and I slept about 4 hours. The other 4 took A LOT of entertaining, but she did great! We arrived at the Hampton House, showered, and went to sleep. AnneMarie woke up MAD at 3 am and screamed! We finally brought her into our bed where she sang and clapped, gave us kisses and got our noses. About 5 am she crashed. She just woke up (it's noon). Every time I would check on her during the night, she was in some awkward position between us!
The last two days I have been shopping. It is quite an experience to buy 8 weeks worth of food and to think that not one single meal will be eaten out! I had better diversify my menus quickly or we will be eating a lot of the same things. Shopping in Kenya is an experience. Yesterday, we went to the butcher. I thought buying meat at Sam’s was buying in bulk. Yesterday, I placed an order for 30 chicken breasts, 8 whole chickens and the list goes on an on. I have also learned that produce in Kenya is cheap, everything else is not. A 1.5 pound block of cheese costs $50. A jar of Hellman’s mayonnaise costs $10 and a jar of skippy peanut butter costs $8. When I bought my beans and noodles, I was told to freeze them immediately to kill the bugs that I could visibly see scampering through them! We went to a large store comparable to Wal-Mart yesterday and to a different one today. Although they are the same store, they carry different merchandise. However, neither of them are carrying cream of mushroom/chicken soup right but they are carrying that AXE spray for men and JLo Glo…really what are the priorities?!? How do you make casseroles without those??? John has been able to skip out on most of the shopping and has been entertaining AnneMarie. This has not been the easiest of jobs since she is also jet lagged which equals cranky in baby terms.
Tomorrow we are heading to Tenwek after we go to the butcher to pick up our meat and the grocer to get our fresh produce. We did arrive with all of our bags (AMAZING!). Our stroller did not come however, but did show up somewhat tattered today. We are looking forward to getting settled. We will move into temporary housing until the first of June when we will move into our house. We are excited to get to Tenwek!